Tuesday, May 25, 2010

One down, 8 to go!

Well, I definitely was NOT crazy! I took a total of 6 home pregnancy tests last week and they all came back positive, but of course the icing on the cake was the results of the official blood test. They test your blood for levels of HCG just like the urine test does but more accurately. Any level over 100 is considered positive, super high levels are sometimes an indicator of multiples. Mine was 1,116. If they had transferred more than one embryo I'd be a nervous wreck about the prospect of it being twins but I'm pretty sure it's just one really strong baby!

The intended parents were through the roof excited when I gave them the news! I surprised them with a baby themed gift bag with the "What to Expect When You're Expecting" book and a card that played Brahms Lullaby when you open it. I decided to go with the picture of the pregnancy test instead of grossing them out with my actual pee stick... I think it was a good call. Lol! They called me when they got it and I could literally hear the excitement in their voices! It's such a reassuring feeling to see how happy they are. After so long and so much "process" has taken place, I sometimes forget why I'm doing this, but moments like that remind me that this is their dream coming true! I got a surprise bouquet of Edible Arrangements (which I love!!) and a few more e-mails and calls expressing their gratitude and excitement :)

I have to go back in for repeat blood tests tomorrow and Friday to make sure the HCG levels are doubling the way they're supposed to and then I am released to my own Ob/Gyn...which by the way, I haven't yet picked out. I do have a few prospects in mind though, I wanted to decide which hospital I'd like to deliver at first and then obviously pick out a doctor who was associated with the hospital. I've decided on the Greater Baltimore Medical Center. I've heard fabulous things about it and I was able to take a virtual tour on the website. They have a women's atrium where they specialize in births and it reminded me so much of Sharp Mary Birch hospital in San Diego where I delivered my own babies that I thought it would give me a sense of comfort and familiarity :)

Hopefully, everything will continue on a positive and successful path! No morning sickness YET...a little nausea but the "fun stuff" waited until the 2nd trimester to happen with my daughter, and was barely there at all with my son, so we shall see! I've been really tired and drained lately and my pants are already uncomfortable... but otherwise, good to go!!

No comments:

Post a Comment